New Braunfels' Helpful Guide To Proper Septic System Maintenance
June 15, 2022 - septic system
In rural areas, septic systems are essential. If you're new to having a home that relies upon a septic system to handle wastewater, you should find some helpful information here. If you're constructing a home in a rural area and you need to have a septic system installed, you'll also benefit from this short article. Our goal today is to give you a few important facts about septic systems in New Braunfels, and an overview of septic system maintenance.
How Common Septic Systems Work
All of the water in your home runs out of your home in one large pipe. If you have a septic system, this large pipe runs into a tank. The tank can be made of concrete, plastic, or fiberglass. Inside the tank, a separation occurs. Some material floats to the top. Some material sinks to the bottom. The liquid wastewater in the middle is released into the drain field. Routinely, the tank is pumped to remove the waste material.
The Importance Of Proper Septic System Maintenance
When a septic system isn't properly maintained, it can create a health threat, lower your property value, cause harm to the environment, and lead to extra expenses. It is wise to have routine cleanings performed by a professional in order to prevent unwanted issues. Routine maintenance will also help you reduce how often you need to have your system pumped. A well-maintained system may only need to be pumped once every three to five years.
Four Dos And Don'ts To Proper Septic System Maintenance
If you have a septic system, what are some of the things you should do to maintain a healthy system?
- As we pointed out, it is important to have routine maintenance performed by a professional. When you do this at least once every two years, your entire system will benefit, and you'll be aware of any issues that may arise.
- Get a toilet that is efficient with water. Old toilets use more water than newer toilets. If you have an old toilet, it might be time for an upgrade.
- Make sure to set your washing machine on the right load setting to avoid using water you don't have to use.
- Get showerheads that conserve water.
There are a few things that can lead to poor septic system health.
- Refrain from putting paper towels, dental floss, coffee grounds, cat litter, and other household items down the drain or in your toilet. Only put toilet paper and waste down the drain.
- Don't put household chemicals into your toilet. These can upset the biome in your septic system.
- Don't get a garbage disposal unit. While convenient in your kitchen, a garbage disposal unit will add to the solids in the bottom of your septic tank.
- Don't put grease and cooking oil down the drain. This can clog your system and pollute the soil around your tank.
If you would like more suggestions about how to keep your septic system healthy, or you'd like service for a septic system in New Braunfels, you can contact us here at Aerobic Services of South Texas. We're happy to help.
The Hassle-Free Way To Proper Septic System Maintenance
At Aerobic Services of South Texas, our goal is to get you on track and keep you on track with a great septic system. We are known for our quality work and we bring with us a lot of experience. If you've been considering having a new septic system installed or you'd like repair and maintenance of your current system, we can help. We provide the highest level of septic system service in New Braunfels. Reach out to us today to learn more.
We have used them for our vacation rentals and referred them to many owners without any issues. They've always treated us and our clients with respect, and told us upfront what pricing would be.